The minimum cut-off point to gain admission into Nigerian universities has being reduced to 160.
This is according to Joint Admission and Matriculation Board (JAMB) new policy for candidates to gain admission into the universities across the country in the 2020 admission session.
This was made known by Ishaq Oloyede, the JAMB's registrar in his announcement on Tuesday June 16, after the 20th policy meeting on admissions to tertiary institutions.
The cut-off mark for polytechnics was changed to 120, while that of Colleges of Education remains 100 and above.
In his comment said that 612,557 candidates were offered admission but 510,957 admission spaces remained unused by the institutions.
He added that only 1,157,977 candidates who had the required five credits with English and Mathematics, sat for its Unified Tertiary Matriculation Examination (UTME) last year.
Adamu Adamu , the Minister of Education, from his part said, he has directed JAMB and tertiary institutions to proceed with the conduct of their 2020/2021 admissions which slated to commence in August.
Read Adamu's statement:
“As major stakeholders, we must jointly come up with reactions that would realign our programmes to these new realities.
“JAMB and tertiary institutions could take advantage of the current situation, consider candidates with previous years SSCE and other qualifying results, to proceed on with the admission process.
“Whatever arrangement that the country comes up with in the long run will surely accommodate those who will be taking the examination when the opportunity to do so is worked out".
JAMB Changes Cut Off Mark For Admission To 160